Monday, January 23, 2017

Motherhood:1000: Tales of a Student-Mom

Surprisingly, labor has not been the hardest part of my parenting journey.  Although, if you had asked me the day after my son was born, the answer may have been different.  The hardest part hasn't even been the potty training fiasco we are currently in the trenches of (although, when my son peed on my wedding shoes my answer may have been different).  The hardest part has been the ten semesters  I spent as either a full-time college student or just a credit or two short of full time.

I started college well before my kids were born and before I even knew my husband existed.  I had fun, learned a lot, probably had a little too much fun, but gained knowledge and life advice from many professors I still consider life mentors.  When we got married and I started this crazy life as a military wife, my biggest goal was to continue my education and pursue my passions.  When I discovered I was pregnant with our son, my ambitions with education didn't change.  I have kept pursuing my goals.


So, two countries,  three colleges, countless courses, and two degrees earned later here we are! I am finally finished with my field of study (for now, at least until school days come).  While it has been so worth it, it was no easy task.  I didn't really think much would change, but it did.  There were late nights, homework done while holding babies (my daughter was born in my last two semesters!), some missed assignments to comfort sick little ones, tears, frustrations, and fire.  That last one is what kept me going those ten semesters.  I never stopped; fall, spring, summer semesters I always had classes.  Mostly because I knew if I stopped, I wouldn't be able to start again.  The roles of being a wife and a mother would flood in and  I would enjoy my few moments of calm in the evening when I was not scrambling to finish homework.

Sometimes, I sacrificed sanity.  Sometimes I sacrificed intimacy with my husband. Sometimes I sacrificed housework, laundry, and clothes went unfolded for a couple days.  Then, sometimes I sacrificed having a perfect score on something or a quiz periodically to spend time with my children that I wouldn't get back.  Because life is all about balance.  Frankly, I would rather do ANYTHING than statistics class.  Anything.  Even teaching my son to poop in the toilet is more lucrative.  But, even on the long, late nights, the courses that did frustrate me (ahem, statistics), and the crazy deadlines clearly not geared for someone rearing children, I did it.  I didn't quit--though the thought crossed my mind more often than I would like to admit!  If you are in the same boat, trust me, I know it is so hard.  I know what you're going through and how absolutely frustrating and seemingly impossible it can feel at times.  But I also know the feeling that floods in when the degree is placed in your hand.  Never in my life have I cried when I received something--not in high school, not getting my associates, not with countless 4-H, FFA, and PAS awards, but I cried tears of joy, accomplishment, and relief walking across the stage at the University of Wyoming during my graduation ceremony.  Because, despite all odds, all the statistics about women having children before finishing their degree, I overcame an I achieved.  I remind myself of this every time I am coercing a 3.5 foot tall blonde boy to poop in a toilet.  If I mastered Freud and Skinner, I can master potty training....right?  

No comments:

Post a Comment