Thursday, January 19, 2017

Becoming a Military Spouse: A Lesson in Finding YOU!

If, on the day I set foot in my first agricultural business class, someone told me I would be marrying a soldier in three years, moving over seas, and saying farewell to my (at that time) dream career, I would have laughed.  I thought I knew exactly who I was. I was Courtney Mathews, well-known participant in FFA and 4-H which brought me opportunities literally all over the country to meet new people, make great connections, and map out step by step exactly what I needed to do to be what I wanted in life. Then, everything changed.

I met this pretty cool, super good looking, kind of funny guy one day and the rest is history.  Now we are married, with two wonderful little people none of which I would trade for anything.  Oh!  One little tiny detail....that guy I told you about?  He's in the army, and, like it or not, that little tidbit was destined to change the course of my life forever.

When we got married, I knew a lot of things were going to change, but it didn't hit me for a few weeks just how much.  Five days after our wedding I boarded a plane to move to Germany with my husband as he was stationed there.  I soon came to a pretty harsh realization; not one person knew me.  Not one person knew who I was.  Sure, they knew I was "Mrs. Dixon" or "staff sergeant Dixon's wife" but no one knew ME.  No one knew I had given up everything (willingly, he didn't force me to marry him, no worries) to live this life.  I left behind my degree field, my ambitions, my horses, my training talents, my dream job, my family, my friends, and everything I knew to be true about myself.  Two things can happen when a person is stripped of what she believes to be her identity--depression or rediscovery.  Admittedly, I experienced both.   I mourned the loss of me, of who I was, of a secure sense of self.  I was happy and ecstatic to be married and to be expecting our first child (that happened fast!).  After a while of wondering, of searching, of waiting, of trying things, I realized one thing; no one can tell you who you are, that part is up to you, and you get to be whoever you want!

So I had to leave behind my ag business dreams, but I did not give up on my education.  I found a new and better suited venue for my personality as a psychology major, and I still attended my dream school, just online!  I found new hobbies to enjoy regardless of where life takes us.  I found new people I would have never met otherwise and have built such amazing and strong friendships.  I have found new passions in life that I would not have been so devoted to without this life.  I have discovered strengths I never knew I had.  I have found talents I never knew I had.  After all, who would have thought I would be (sort of) awesome at Zumba?  Do I miss the things I loved before? Everyday.  Everyday I miss my horses and showing and training.  I miss ranch life.  I miss rodeos, horse shows, and long days training.  But, when I start to feel those things getting to me, I remind myself that those dreams are not dead, they are just delayed.  The things I am experiencing right now are things that are one-time opportunities!  These experiences are writing my story, and I prefer for it to be a long and at least mildly interesting one.  Most of all, I want to exemplify to my children that we don't always do the things we want in our time, there's a timeline much greater than our own.

I am not anonymous in this life.  I have a voice, I am a person, and I live things to the fullest.  I have experienced cultures, circumstances, and places that I would not have otherwise, and this has all helped build a new puzzle of me.  I know much more about who I am, my strengths, my goals, and my likes than I did before this life.  I know who I AM!  I have found myself in a life that can very easily become a life of monotonous anonymity; don't let it.  Find you. Be you.  Love you, and spread that with everyone you meet!  Being a bit of sunshine and positivity in a life of camo, boots, goodbyes, and transition is the least you can do for you!  Trust me, it goes a long way for your personal well-being.  Know you, be you, love you, and be as completely fabulous as you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment