Saturday, October 1, 2016

Beans, Booze, and Babes

 
It's coffee and wine.  Short and sweet and satisfying.  I apologize to those who opened this article looking for information on a really fun time (sometimes I have clever titles, worked though, didn't it?!).

But why now?  Why as a mother do I sooo love my overpriced, way too many shots of espresso, and typically (by the time I drink it) luke-warm lattes?  Why do I now have a love and deeper interest in wine?  I mean, I actually go and taste it and buy wine for the taste, season, meal choices, etc. instead of based solely on its price and alcohol content.  I was of age to legally consume alcohol before I became a mother and I worked at a coffee shop for about six years prior to (and while pregnant with) our son.  So why now?  Why is it that moms like me love these two forms of liquid gold so much?

I know.  It MUST be because I need some type of supplement, energy booster, craving control pill, or a billion other things I have been offered as an alternative to my coffee and wine intake daily.  Here's the kicker:  I love them and we are never, ever, ever breaking up.  I can probably find lists of all the wonderful health benefits of consuming a daily glass of wine and cup of coffee, but, for me there is an emotional benefit.  Coffee and wine are often times the only selfish things that  I do to 100% indulge in something for myself on the regular.  Now, I'm not saying that I drink daily lattes or consume copious amounts of wine, because everything is best enjoyed in moderation.  I am a firm believer that people need to drink responsibly and there is a level of financial responsibility attached as well.

In reality coffee and wine are the only two things I can tell my toddler "no honey, it's not safe for you to drink this" and actually feel like, for once, I am not lying to him about food safety.  Has he had a few sips of the bottom of a latte? Multiple times.  Has he had a sip of wine?  I'm not going to say no, because he did give himself a boxed wine shower once.  But for the most part, those are two things that are completely "Mommy-Only" in our household, right alongside tampons and trashy reality TV shows.

  So, coffee and wine is more than just a beverage for me.  Aside from the fact that I just really, really (insert F bomb here) love coffee and wine, when you spend every waking minute of the day tending to the needs of other people; changing, feeding, playing with, holding, drying tears, carrying, directing, and fetching a variety of items for every day, it is not only nice, but essential to have something for you.  For me, it's a latte or a glass of wine.  For others it may be time to read a favorite book, meditate, take a warm bubble bath, watch a favorite TV show, or do a favorite hobby.  It doesn't have to be coffee or wine, although I just don't fully understand those who don't like either of these God given gifts to moms.  The point is that it is so important to do something everyday for you.  To keep your sanity.  To feel valued.  To self indulge.  To always be thankful for the little things in life or the few moments of quiet.  Remember, mama has to be happy and healthy in order to care for and raise happy and healthy babies!  Take time for you, even if its just the five minutes of drinking mediocre coffee in the car on the way to the park while listening to yo jam on the radio.



Coffee before nap, wine after nap that's my mama mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment