Sunday, September 25, 2016

Like Mother Like Daughter: 10 Ways I'm Turning into my Mother.

I've always had a good relationship with my mom.  Yes, you can ask her, she would probably agree.  Even during my pre-teen, teen, and single, young adult years we got along well.  Sure, we had our tense times (these often involved 4-H sewing projects), but we also did lots of fun things just the two of us!  However, as much as I have always loved my mom, I never in a million years thought I would actually turn into her when I had children of my own.  As I get older and settle more into motherhood, I hear my mother come out of my mouth and see her in my actions multiple times a day.  There are definitely worse things I could do.  But, here's the ten things that 18 year old Courtney would have joked about....and now present-day Courtney does on the regular:

1. I Own Fiesta Ware. 
...and I LOVE my Fiesta ware!  Ok, so this was a pre-children decision.  When you decide to get married about two months after getting engaged, there isn't exactly a lot of time to do a registry and look into all the different options.  So, I went with what I knew was good; what mom had.  I still love my blue fiesta ware!  I draw the line at a kitchen filled with chicken decor though, you can keep that one all to yourself, mom!  The rooster kitchen suits you well.

2. Days. 
I don't mean "days" as in a 24 hour period; I'm talking about the popular daytime soap, Days of Our Lives on NBC, usually at 1 P.M.  When our son was a baby, I was invested in Days.  I knew the characters, was hooked by the sexually driven, murderous, mysterious plot lines and had all my own theories of what was going to happen to who (some of which  I was totally right about by the way).  You know who else has a Days obsession? That's right, my mom.  She's watched the show since before I was born (as she's made me aware of many times).  Even as a young child, I remember her taking a daily break because she had to see if Stefano was really dead, what was going on with Bo and Hope, and whose baby was going to get stolen next.  I used to tease her about her Days obsession, and now we discuss it.  I have missed a few months now, as two babies just hasn't given me the break to catch up on the dirt that's going on.  But I know one thing, Stefano probably isn't dead yet.

3. HGTV
If the first two didn't give me a clue the apple didn't fall far from the tree, this sure did.  I might as well just apologize right now for making fun of my mom's HGTV viewing during my time at home.  So, mom, I'm sorry, and thank you for not rubbing it in my face that I now am hooked on things like House Hunters and Tiny House Living.  Seriously though.  She knew something I didn't with this one (ok, she knows a LOT I don't).  Who doesn't love Chip and Joanna Gaines?  That's what I thought.

4. Sam's Club is Life
Growing up, whenever I was drug to Sam's Club with my mom, I usually did my best to talk my dad into going around to find the sample food stands with me.  He always obliged.  Now, I LOVE TO GO TO SAM'S CLUB!  Again, mama always knows best.  Looking back, little Courtney really should have appreciated her mom's love of Sam's Club more than I did.  Thankfully, the karma hasn't hit there yet, because my son loves Sam's Club.  I think he thinks its a secret society or something. I may not have appreciated it back then, but I learned from mom that you just can't go wrong at Sam's Club.

5. Grandma Time Rocks 
I cherish grandma time, whether its with my mom or my mother-in-law.  My mom was the same.  She always made sure that we did things for my grandmas and that I spent time with them, especially my grandma that lived in our hometown, as often as possible.  I am so thankful for this because I have some many wonderful memories with my grandmas.  I find myself feeling the same way in terms of the importance of grandparent time.  Plus, it usually means the man I married and I can sneak in a date night when grandmas are around, so that's a bonus!

6. CrockPots 
I love my CrockPot.  There is nothing better when I want to make a home cooked meal but don't have a lot of time or need to get it in while my small people are content.  Any guesses where I got my love for the CrockPot?  I'll give you three tries...  Here's a hint; every time I am going to try a new CrockPot recipe, I usually dial up mom to see if I'm doing it right!

7. I Own a Robe 
My mom has always had a robe she wears in the mornings, and I do now too.  So mine is zebra striped and hers is usually a solid color, but the basic idea is there!  I own a robe because my mom does and it seems like the only acceptable way to start the day is to dawn your robe and get some coffee.  Plus, it prolongs the time until I feel like I must put on a bra, so that's always a win in my book.  A robe does, in fact, qualify as getting dressed in my world.  Wonder who I learned that from?

8. Wine
So, I may actually drink wine more than my mom does, but I knew what kinds to try because mom likes white zinfandel so therefore it HAS to be good.  Once again, she wasn't wrong.  Do you know how awesome it is to be old enough to be able to do a wine tasting with your mom?  It's in the top 10 best things adults can do with their parents, that's how great it is.  Wineries are the ultimate girl day, and I cherish all the girl's days I get with my mom, because as an adult that has had an ocean between us and currently 18 hours, it's nice to do fun things together when we can.  What's more fun than wine?! Nothing is the correct answer.

9. No Cussing (uhhh.... less? less cussing. Definitely less).
I'm not 100% like my mom in this boat.  I still enjoy using a well placed profanity daily.  But, now that I have a child who picks up on those and drops the F bomb during Catholic Mass or calls his dinosaurs "assholes" as they block the road on his car rug, I definitely say them much less than I used to.  Growing up, I remember my mom rarely cussing.  In fact, I can only remember one specific incidence where I heard her use the F word, and it was directed at my 4-H pigs. Mom definitely has me beat in this field, but I find my vocabulary in general becoming more and more Linda-esque.

10. My Child Lays with Us 
Well, time for me to eat crow, and a BIG serving of it.  I needed my mom to lay with me, or sleep in bed with them until I was probably...10 or so.  Maybe longer.  Even when I was at my childhood home and pregnant with our first child waiting to join my husband in Germany, I would go lay with my mom or have her come lay with me to watch TV.  She always told me not to let my kids do that, and I was adamant that I would definitely not allow my kids to sleep in our bed or lay with them in theirs.  Then....my son had severe RSV at 15 months and all of that went straight down the toilet.  He's almost 3 and still comes to lay with us every night, and I love it.  I won't make him stop anytime soon because I love cuddling with him.  When his sister is big enough, I'm sure she will join us and our queen size bed may need an upgrade.  I think my mom didn't mind me coming to snuggle at night either, or snuggling me to sleep.  If she did, she hid it so well.

The truth is, I will never be half the mom my mom was, and is, to me.  She's the best one I know!  But, I've got to learn from the best and as much as I used to think I would never be like my mom, I hear her come out of my mouth, see her in my actions, and hear her in my head everyday.  Because let's be honest.  At least a thousand times a day I ask myself WWMD? What would mama do?

1 comment:

  1. I can relate! I hear my mom when I talk to my sons and I must have a robe...and slippers.

    ReplyDelete