Friday, January 3, 2020



Full disclosure- I really don't like food blogs. I love the recipes, but I really don't want to read 9 paragraphs about how someone was inspired by a summer abroad in Italy, or an extensive 15-generation genealogy report about grandma's famous dumplings. Just give me the food! I do, however, love to cook and *finds horn* and *toots horn* most of the time I am not too shabby. Here is one of my favorite budget-friendly dinners. 

Okay, one more and then I will get on with it I promise.  As a military spouse, budget-friendly meals are important to me. I want to share recipes with others that are budget-friendly, picky kid approved,fun and easy to make, and *obviously* taste good! Budget meals do not have to be unflavorful! I love to use locally sourced ingredients as much as possible, and I always try my very best to shop locally.  All of the ingredients for this dinner were purchased from our small, farmtown stores! The bacon and chicken were raised by local farmers and believe me when I say you can taste the difference! 

Without further adieu, here is my chicken-bacon-ranch casserole steps.  This recipe feeds 4 people using just two chicken breasts! The recipe below serves four and can be adjusted accordingly.  The price for a four person serving--just $3.00 for the entire dish! 

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, unless otherwise stated on your bag of tater tots. Spray a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray. Cube chicken breasts and bacon into bite-size pieces. Add to pan and cook through. If you are using a fatty bacon, cook this first then drain, set aside, and cook chicken. 
 Season while cooking with either ranch dressing dry seasoning packet to your taste or create your own.  I create my own because I need a gluten-free option, and I appreciate lower sodium. To create your own:
Add dried dill seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and salt to taste or until fragrant. 



Add a layer of frozen tater tots to the bottom of a 9x9 pan. Top with the seasoned chicken and bacon and 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Repeat layering once more and end by topping with remaining sharp cheddar cheese. 

Bake at 450 degrees F. for 10-13 minutes; until cheese is melted and tater tots have crisped. Remove and serve! 

This one earned the approval of both of our picky-eaters! Kid tested, budget approved. 



Note: This recipe is of my own conception and was not derived from another author, cookbook, or online site.  I am not compensated for the use use of any suggested ingredients and do not endorse any specific brands; this is something I created and wanted to share for other budget-limited cooks and parents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment