Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The Perfect Educational Fit for the Busy Milspo Mom


Picture this: it's 2010.  Side bangs were definitely a thing.  Everyone wore Etnies and DC shoes even if they couldn't skate (me), Rihanna wanted to be the only girl in the world, and we were first introduced to the yellow, annoying oblong being known as a "minion" (I didn't realize how big of a deal these guys would become in my life a few years later), and it was time to begin my freshman year in college.

Foundry College gives me the ability to further my education
from the comfort of my own home--even surrounded by the
tasks of motherhood; unfolded laundry for example.
I like to think I was a fairly typical college kid; loved my major, spent tons of energy drink-fueled late nights studying, participated in clubs on campus, and survived on copious amounts of pizza and lattes.  That is, until I fell in love.  Sure, lots of people find their soul mate in college, but I didn't find mine in college, I just happened to be a student when I married this hunk in a schmedium who caught my eye the first time I saw him (because he scared my horse and I needed to drop a very well placed F bomb). My true love was a soldier in the US Army, which changed my course of education from the time we said our "I do's."  

I spent more time than normal completing a bachelor's degree from my alma mater, just to find it really wasn't as useful as a transitioning military spouse as I thought it would be.  For three years, I felt lost.  I felt like all the sleepless nights cramming in studying between feeding a new born, reading babies the theories of Freud, Skinner, and Pavlov, caffeine-frenzied writing sessions at Panera Bread, and even reading textbooks in my children's first few hours of life just weren't adding up.  The stress of looking into other programs, costs, knowing the demands of a mother of a 2 and 5 year old, and the ever lingering possibility of a PCS (thanks, army) made returning to school seem impossible. I was on the verge of giving up returning to school when I read about Foundry College.

Visit Foundry College on Facebook!
Graphic credit: Foundry College  
Foundry College was the exact thing I needed!  This start-up college was offering a different type of post-secondary education.  While researching the college, I learned that all of their classes are completed in real-time, interactive lecture format and did not require any outside reading, outside homework, or the purchase of textbooks.  No way! Was it too good to be true?  I decided I might as well apply and decide for myself.  After interviewing with Foundry, I knew their new approach to learning was the perfect fit for me.  

The program takes a different approach to post-secondary education.  They believe that the focus should be on providing students with real-world knowledge and skills that employers are seeking right now.  Their associate's level programs ensure that students are prepared to enter the workforce with an applicable and relevant education that fits smoothly into the current employment atmosphere.  The courses are refreshing, educational, and perfect for those with transient lifestyles; especially military spouses like me.  Each student is provided with an educational coach to help guide student's on their collegiate path, tutors, and a very competitive cost without any excess like textbooks, access codes, or meal cards.  Students have the ability to attend class from anywhere there is a WiFi connection--from a Starbucks before household goods arrive....from the motel during PCS...from the Starbucks parking lot because the power is down...

For those who may be searching for the right college fit, check out Foundry.  As a means to better the educational experience they offer, those who apply for the Foundry College second class will receive free tuition!  This is an exciting and limited offer, so if this sounds like something that would be a good fit, make sure to visit them at Foundry College to learn more and apply before the March 31st deadline for the limited-time, tuition-free program.  
Photo Credit: Foundry College

No comments:

Post a Comment